Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Bario

Ok, so few days ago, i went to Bario. Everyone knows where Bario is, right? Deep and high in the heart of Sarawak. My cousin and i went with pak cik agan, who comes from Bario but lives in Miri now. See the picture above? Thats part of Bario. Thats Bario Asal, and on the back right hand side is Arur Dalan - thats where we stayed for the past few days. Sina' Do Ayu, pak cik agan's sister, gave us a room in the long house. It's actually quite nice in Bario. I mean, its so serene, the people are extremely nice (and i mean EXTREMELY. to the extent that it made me feel bad). The view is breath-taking, and the weather is cool - just nice.


That's pak cik agan with me. He's from Bario, but im the one who has to handle the kerbau while he touches it.


Wisley! He's Sina' Do Ayu's 3 year old grandson. He's VERY shy, but after some time, he got VERY talkative. One morning i was alone with him, and he took out all his toys to play with me. he taught me a lot of kelabit by the way. he kept on shouting "ra'ut kiteh!" and i was practicing my kelabit with him. YOu know what? he understood me! But then he started to talk non-stop in kelabit, and i was concentrating so hard on trying to understand what he was saying. There was this guy, he lives a few doors down, he was listening to us that time and he started laughing. "Ini memang itik dengan ayam campur ini! cuba cakap orang putih dengan dia." so i asked wisley if he knew english, he said yes, i asked him to say something, he went "ALAU!! (hello)
and laughed to himself. LoL.


This was how we got around Bario - an old, worn down motorbike. the breaks werent working, there needles for the meters were all gone, and it gives out a lot of smoke and sound. The roads didnt help either. They were so bumpy. But it was fun! We nearly fell a whole load of times, and we really fell once. Well, i managed to put my leg out in time and held the bike up, but my cousin fell of all the same.


Thats Sina' Do Ayu with me. It was cold~ so we sat by the fire to warm ourselves up. Thats also where the meals are cooked. Its so much fun! LoL. coz we use firewood to cook, it was really something.


Thats me, my cousin and winston in the perahu, going hunting. It was really fun, except that we spent about 7-8 hours in that perahu, our backsides were killing us!



Me, pak cik agan and winston. just taking photos at the site where we camped for dinner. ;)


Thats me and my cousins, cooking dinner. we caught 3 fish using the rod. Not bad eh?


That there is what we caught during the trip. 9 big fish and one musang - they made the trip worth while. On the way back - which took 5 hours in the perahu by the way - it started raining. Wow! The temperature is already quite low there at night, plus the rain and the dark. We were shivering by the time we reached the place where the boats were kept. And then we had to ride the motorbike for an hour before we reached the house - also in the dark, cold, and wet. But it was fun! "hari ini dalam sejarah", like pak cik agan said.


Theres the 3 of us, at the airport just before we went back to miri. I was so exhausted, i slept in the twin otter! imagine that. Owh, but a sad ending to a happy adventure - my cousin and i lost our handphones. it was in the room, but somehow lost, not sure how. So if any of you have my number, just text me ur name so i can save ur number ok?

Thats it then. a word of advice - try going to Bario. a beautiful place! u wouldnt regret it. =)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yieeerrr....looks sooooo fun!!!! i wanna go also lar...so beautiful again the place...all the sawah n the mountains...yierrrr...so nice laaa u...