Saturday, September 13, 2008

I am a Sarawakian..

I used to be so proud of the Sarawakian Government, for being able to maintain peace and unity in the state. But somehow, now, among more and more increasingly unprecedented and absurb happenings, frustration is mounting up as political parties around the nation are speaking up, but the Sarawakian parties are holding their silence.

The nation is in turmoil as the Opposition claims to have the backing of Sarawakians. Sarawak is the centre of attention, but all its politicians can say is "lies!". For God's sake!

The Government is so obviously tearing the country apart. Foreign countries have been criticising the ISA, but our Government maintained the need for it, supported it, backed it, justified it. But today, that same Government has proved to everyone that the ISA is just an instrument to instil fear in the hearts of Malaysians. When they feel safe and secure in office, the ISA lies dormant. But when they feel threatened, the ISA is conjured up. We have become a nation where everyone lives in fear, for whatever they say, do, or even think.

And still Sarawakian politicians remain silent!

Journalists have been detained under the ISA, and for what? For inciting religious and racial hatred? As far as I know, and I may not know very much, since I'm a Malaysian and the Malaysian Government obviously thinks that Malaysians are dumb enough to buy whatever they say, journalists merely reports, they don't say anything. It's either they report the truth, or lies.

I've mentioned this before in one of my posts, but I shall do so again. Here, I can call a black man black, I can call a Chinese a Chinese, I can call a white man white, and still be friends with them. We recognise and acknowledge our differences, and we embrace it. But perhaps this is not what the Malaysian Government or the Kamus DBP defines as racial unity. Perhaps the correct definition of "racial unity" is "not allowing the realisation that not everyone is Malay (or Muslim) seep into the minds of people", and the definition of "Malay" is "the superior race that should be given extra rights and privelages".

I am a Malay, I do not deny it. But the other 80+% of Sarawakians are not! Does this make me any more superior to all my other friends(and I say friends) ? I wouldn't think so, but, hey, who am I to say that the Government is wrong?

But still, I do not want to lose faith in those (I won't say government) whom my statesmen (sarakians) have elected. I hope they have something up their sleeves, and I hope they uphold and fight for what the people really want.

I am a Sarawakian, I was proud to be one, I am proud to be one, and I hope that I will always be proud to be one.

No comments: