Saturday, August 23, 2008

"big news!"

Aren't you guys just glad that I've started to post up stuff more often now? I don't know why, but yea. Maybe because I have some free time during august period in AC than usual (don't get me wrong, when i say SOME free time, i mean SOME free time..). But anyways, you know what's weird? When I was back in Malaysia, I always found the international news so interesting, that whenever I read the papers, I'd skip everything else and go to the international section. I end up knowing more about what's happening in a small, unknown country than what's happening in my own country. But ever since I came to AC, I seem to have a change in heart, and been following the national news so closely, that it feels as if I'm in Malaysia still.

And of course, the "big news" back home right now is the possibility of a change in government (first time ever in Malaysian history!) and also the by-election, which is seemingly going to be the determining factor.

I don't know if it's only me, but all of this is making me kind of nervous. I mean, I'm looking forward to a change in government. Who can deny that the current one is too comfortable and confident in its position, that it is so obviously being inaffective, if I dare say so. And also, its way of handling and governing is somewhat getting on the nerves of most Malaysians, who have seemingly grown mature overnight. In AC, I live with loads of other nationalities, and you see so many things you would never thought possible. There are dorms where a palestinian and an israeli share, where an american shares his with 3 citizens of "terrorist countries", and so on. Debates are held, forums are organised, all with the intention of getting people to talk and understand each other better. Here, I can call a black person black. But in Malaysia, I can't call a chinese a chinese without feeling this slight tinge of guilt. Perhaps its time to deal with our problems out in the open, and not just sweet it all under the rug like we've been doing for the past 50 years.

But then again, are Malaysians really ready for change? Malaysia has had more than 50 years of peace under one government. We say we're ready for change, for a better future, but can we handle the transition? Sarawak, for example, an excellent example, actually, has been under the rule of one man for more than 2 decades. If the government changes, so will this man, and so too, along with him, will the wall (or barrier) between Sarawak and the rest of the world. He's been protecting Sarawak from otusiders because of personal reasons/gains (sssh, an open secret..), but Sarawakians are enjoying this, because we get so many privelages and advantages. I mean, we don't need a work permit to work in Semenanjung, but they would need a work permit to work in Sarawak (haha! :P). The Sarawak market is practically solely for Sarawakian business, and many a Sarawakians thrive on this. Inflation going from time to time, demonstrations, riots, political turmoil, bla bla bla, but still Sarawak remains "ignorant" of all this. We really are protected. But all this will probably be gone with the change of government.

Here then, the question arises, are we willing to sacrifice our make-pretend peace, for the possibility of real peace and prosperity?

But one thing I have to add, I did not agree when one of the opposition parties(for now, if its true theyre going to become the next government) stated that it would not support a theocracy nation. Malaysia is an Islamic Country. If there is anyone who disagrees and would want Malaysia to become a secular country, I would say it was because of
1, Malaysia is an Islamic Country only in name. It does not practice, as a nation, what Islam preaches, because in reality, it is already, or still, a secular country. and
2, they do not know Islam. An Islamic Country does not mean other religions would be forsaken. It merely means that the country adopts a ruling system that is fair and just.
I say this not because I am a muslim, but because I know what it means to truly be an Islamic Country. And for this, I hope that certain parties in the opposition would not change its stance in this, should the opposition really change sides.

I hope I have not offended anyone, but guys, I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ya!!wen r u going to update ur blog.??.smua my fav blogs xda update, even my frns pun mls/myb too bz to updte their blogs..nothing to read la!(mentang2 la i haf nothing to do n mengharap org lain xda keja jua..)lol

priaPujangga said...

just out of curiosity.. who are u? and how did u find my blog? i'll be updating soon.. but kinda bz ckit..

Anonymous said...

hi..i told u, i ter-jumpa ur blog...i was looking 4 materials 4 my asgnmt, then i was so bored n started to google smthing on bahasa sarawak n bla2...then, terkeluar la one of ur posts yg dlm bhs s'wak ya..starting from tat moment la i baca ur blog.besides, i've nthng better to do selain my asgmnts so slalu la meng-online n meng-online..peace!..dun worry, i haf no bad intentions or anythng.cuma, i like the way u express ur feelings n things like tat.it shows maturity.

priaPujangga said...

are u sarawakian? boh lah padah selamak tok lelah2 balas komen dlm bhs sem, rupa2nya org swak?? haha.

Anonymous said...

hehe..auk la,org sarawak..x payah la mo pake bhs sem lgk!!hehe

priaPujangga said...

aduh eh.. dari cney?

Anonymous said...

org meoww...kuching. tp x-st co, miri. aftr spm, my fam moved back to kch..mcm ney la miri skng??the las time i went 2 miri was in 2006,tat 1 pun bcoz of indstrial visit.

priaPujangga said...

icic. mak org kch, so slalu lah balit kch.. miri, i dont know how.. kinek tok d uk, blaja, so... kelak2 adalah update blog..